Thursday, January 8, 2009

Guts



Guts: The True Stories Behind "Hatchet" and the Brian Books

by Gary Paulsen (2002)

Paulsen's childhood and adult adventures in the wilderness, focused mainly on hunting and flying; interesting, and good for students to see how real (and dangerous) some seemingly fun "adventures" can be, and also to point how important it can be to "write what you know" -- inspiration for those that can't think of anything to write...

Possible compare/contrast the true accounts and the fictionalized versions from his books.

While reading it, I did feel a little guilty whining when our temps here dropped below 60... brrrrr!

6 comments:

NoBS said...

Hi! I'm just stopping by to present you with The Premios Dardo award! Check here for details. Thanks for blogging!

NoBS said...

Sorry, messed up the link. Try this

Mr. Nauton said...

Yes, that one works much better -- Thanks! My first award! You like me, you really like me! (sorry, one too many bloody marys hoping to drown the pain of the Charger game. I'll be better tomorrow. But still: Thank you..)

Zibilee said...

Love your blog! Your reviews are concise and interesting. I have middle-school aged children, and have now found a new place for recommendations! Thanks!

Mr. Nauton said...

My middle-schooler reads a ton more than I do, so I'm trying to get him to help with the reviews or at least some tag lists... I should get a list of his favorites posted...

Alana said...

Oooh! Sounds good, I'll have to try this.

Have you tried the "Twilight" series, or "Double Dutch?" Both are hot ticket items in my 8th grade reading classroom right now. :)