Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Great Gilly Hopkins

by Katherine Paterson (1978)

Newbery Honor

Several of my students have read this book but all they could tell me,  in hushed, conspiratorial and slightly shocked tones, was that she, Gilly Hopkins used bad words! Being a concerned and responsible adult in charge of their proper education, I had to check this out for myself.

And dammit if she doesn't! Hell, that girl is right sassy and big for her britches, and deserved a resounding thwack on her backside, if you ask me.  She's also in the foster care system, steeling herself for another rejection and desperate to escape and return to the flower child mother who abandoned her.

I wasn't too sure about this one at first but by the end I loved it.  Family is where you find it and make it, and as Trotter says, Life is tough.  It's not a Disney happy ending, and it's probably a little dated unless you're not old enough to know it's dated.

No comments: